Autism is a complex spectrum of disorders characterized by:
(1) differences in the development of social interaction and communication skills, and
(2) atypical patterns of restricted, repetitive behaviors and interests.
Autism looks very different in each individual with the diagnosis. Some individuals communicate in atypical ways, while others use limited ways to communicate basic needs. Impairments in the development of social and communication skills profoundly impact every aspect of an individual's ability to learn and function. Our understanding of the social and communication impairments is essential to learning how to help and teach individuals with autism.
- What's Included
- 42 pages
- Optional $20 certficate
- Define the differences between speech, language, and communication
- List the stages of language and communication development in typically developing children
- Describe how communication develops in individuals with ASD
- Describe how language develops in individuals with ASD
Purchasing certificates that validate successful completion of module will be available soon. More information about graduate credit and continuing education credit will be released as approvals are secured.